Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Mineral Wells Pecans

October and November is truly the time for pecan harvesting in the south, and that includes my beloved Texas. There are more memories tied up with my Aunt Irene and Uncle Raymond Stone's pecan trees than I can even bring to mind. Children from every generation played and worked under the beautiful branches of the pecan trees that they cared for over 50 years - from the early 1950s until the mid 2000s - they were a source of income as well as pride and joy!
 
Irene Checking the Pecan Trees

As little kids, we played games under the trees and then helped pick up the pecans when we could. Later it became a serious job. My sister even had to have a fella with whom she was having a first date take her to Irene and Raymond's as soon as they got through eating burgers, probably at the Dairy Queen, because she had to help shell pecans! I wonder who that date was, and IF he ever showed up again? Hmmm?

Every Easter there were colorful bonnets and dresses and dress shirts running around every which way looking for the eggs hidden by the Easter rabbit or the adults after the family got finished with the Easter Sunday meal. The pecan trees held many secret places where you might later find a pink or yellow egg that a grandchild had missed.

Raymond's knowledge of his pecans was enviable. He entered them in shows and competitions held around the county and the Texas Fair. I remember he had a large display of different types of pecans found in Texas and it was very impressive. It always hung in the hallway between the dining room and their bedroom.


Raymond Checking the Pecans Gathered
and Put Into Bed of His Pick-Up
 

He and Irene worked hard seeing that their pecan trees were healthy and produced a good crop each year. Some years were not as good as others, but that is just the way it is, isn't it? It is sad now when we drive by the old homeplace, the trees were taken by fire shortly after they had both died. The Texas heat and summer fires are unrelenting. We are all just glad they were not here to see the devastation. I believe they know and see from where they are, but it would be hard for us to see the hurt in their eyes.

7 comments:

Peggy Duke said...

Oh, the memories Judy!! My fondest memories are probably of Reggie, Jim, and I climbing the trees and playing cowboys and Indians under the shade of those majestic branches.

Yes, the young man who was my first date came back a few times. He was PFC Greg Smith of Fort Wolters. In March following our first date, he left the Army and that was the last I heard of him :-)

Love, Peggy

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Many of those Fort Wolters servicemen came around the girls of MW, didn't they? Some even stayed, like Raymond!

Yes, I remember you, Reggie, and Jim playing cowboys and Indians all the time; and there is a picture of Linda Kay and Ann playing with Ann toys underneath the trees that is such a sweet picture.

Angie Pruett said...

What a wonderful story! I always love reading your blogs, Judy!!

Angie Pruett said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Judith Richards Shubert said...

Thanks, Angie!! I'm so glad you finally got the blog to take your comment. I see it accepted it twice, so I deleted the second one. When I found those 2 pictures in mother's old picture album, I knew I needed to post them on Food Gratitude. Love you, lil' sis!

Linda Kay Cox said...

Reggie got it. Can't you just see them under those trees? Oh, my. Mom wasn't too keen on picking up pecans, but she was always the trooper and got out there every day (several times a day) and picked them up with Daddy. Audean would always come down during pecan season, and she and Granny Stone would be out there bright and early every morning picking up pecans. I vividly remember Daddy's last year on this earth when God gave him a huge crop of pecans...one of his largest ever. I spent many, many days under those trees with him. He was sick with his cancer, but that didn't keep him from being out there enjoying the fruits of his labor and God's generosity. The next year (after his death), there was hardly a single pecan on all those trees...God's gift to mother. Memories. Tears in eyes. Love you all.

Judith Richards Shubert said...

I remember those years. They were our lighthouse times of stormy seas! I loved them so much. Yes, I thought I remembered Reggie getting the Pecan sample board.

Gratitude

When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the morning light, for your life and strength. Give thanks for your food, and the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies with yourself.

--Chief Tecumseh

Home Page

Total Pageviews

All posts on this blog Copyright 2020 by Judy Shubert